Moving onto third year

After much consideration and with my end of year feedback, I have decided to continue and progress with my work surrounding the theme of Distortion and Sleep Paralysis. I have learnt a lot more about myself and how I can reach my work to a more personal level but more so lately I’ve began a sort of journal with text, collage and drawn mediums. Noting my thoughts and reactions to my sleep, I’ve really started to reach a new level with not only myself but how I can connect to the audience and the work itself. Whether it’s a trigured thought from the day before or something someone has said which sticks with me, I’m finding it really fascinating and interesting that I’m finding ways to delve deeper into myself and understanding how my brain works subconsciously aswell as consciously. Merging text into larger collages in time could become exciting and hopefully help connecting them more so to my sleep paralysis.

End of year Exhibition

Now that the end of the years coming to a close, I’ve successfully set up for my exhibition next week and couldn’t be more excited! I feel I’ve really grown this year and really came to understand my work in terms of scale and layering. I’ve started to develop a video and took myself way out of my comfort zone. The collages emulate my reactions to vivid sleeping conditions and keep to this idea of collecting materials which my trigger these vile nightmares. I’m really pleased the space I’ve been handed and couldn’t be any happier right now!

IMG_6713 copy

 

Merging subject and Field together

IMG_6661 copy

My most recent piece shows a set of three canvases which illustrate where I’ve got to with the merging of subject and field. I wanted to finally test how the two similar but ever so different styles work when put together. I feel using plenty of white space helped to build up the piece a three set. I’ve used more colour but not gone to wild with it and i’ve balanced out the structural marks with the more expressive. Using images from both helped balance out the interlocking and I feel the outcome really works as a combination. Although I do think If I used bigger canvases then maybe I could have pushed the overlap to a whole new level.

IMG_6667 copy

IMG_6664 copy

‘It’s all fun and games’ & ‘Numb’ – collage set

IMG_6671

IMG_6679 copy

After making a larger canvas piece, I felt that this was a great place to now carry on working on this medium. I decided I wanted to make a set of two. The first of which took longer to make, I wanted to cover the whole area this time so sensor around the idea of cluster and distress. Keeping to using some of my own images throughout, these fitted in contrast with the video and photos. The dark textures blended well and merging white acrylic over the top calmed down any outstanding colours and gave another layer to the blurring techniques. Close ups of this piece help to really capture the amount of layering I’ve worked with. Using found materials made the work feel more personal and added to this idea of distorted memories, like little snippets of memories which may be triggered within my sleep.

The second piece titled ‘numb’ was based on the idea of dealing with the disorder for so long now, that I’ve become ‘Numb’ to even thinking about it, it’s now got to the point of just dismissing it and pushing to the back of my mind. The coat of white acrylic is symbolising these factors especially and the use of red seeping though acts as the little voice in the back of my mind, telling me it’s never going to get better. Using bigger blocked materials gave a new feel to the larger collage work, it made me feel to a degree more free and expressive in the way I can work.

Canvas tester experiments

IMG_6657 copy

In the developing process of making my set of two canvas collages, i wanted to test out methods and different ways of layering on some mini pieces of canvas. I learned that making areas more intricate than others and then using larger images, helps build more overall impact and using materials such as masking tape and tracing paper, work effectively for blurring and calming down the more harsh tones. Finishing touches such as buttons and emulsion balance out the spacing and where some of the materials become larger. not covering the beneath material completely becomes apparent to not overwhelm the piece as a whole and I now feel ready to make the larger pieces!